Welcome to Danbury, North Carolina!
Town Council Meetings--Town Council meetings are scheduled for the fourth Wednesday of every month. A tentative agenda will normally be posted by the Monday prior to the meeting.
The next regular meeting of the Town Council is scheduled for February 22, 2017, 7:00 PM, at the Danbury Town Hall.
COUNCIL MEETING -- 9/28/16
1. The Town Council approved the contract for Destinations by Design to develop the Pedestrian/Bicycle Plan. The kick-off meeting is planned for Thursday, November 3, 2016, at 10:00am, at Town Hall. A notice will be posted at town hall if the meeting location is moved.
2. The annual budget was amended by $9,100.00 to reflect the 1st year planning costs.
COUNCIL MEETING -- 10/26/16
NEW BUSINESS ---
1. The Town Council continued a discussion regarding the possibility of restricting the practice known as compression braking by operators of large trucks. Discussion will continue.
2. Elmer Manuel was appointed for another term on the Danbury Planning Board. The term is for three years.
3. Donnie Mabe was appointed by the Stokes County Commissioners for another term as an ETJ member of the Danbury Planning Board. ETJ members represent the one-mile area surrounding the town proper.
4. Council approved a contract with attorney W. Eugene Russell of Madison, NC, to become Danbury's Town Attorney, effective 1/1/17. Mr. Russell served as the Rockingham County Attorney for many years. Current long-time Danbury Town Attorney, Mike Bruce will be retiring, effective 12/31/16. The Town greatly appreciates Mike's contribution over the past 20 years.
COUNCIL MEETING -- 12/7/16
1. W. Eugene Russell was sworn in by Mayor Janet Whitt to become the town's new Town Attorney. Mike Bruce is retiring after 20 years of legal service to the Town.
2. The Council was given an update on the Pedestrian/Bicycle Plan, The consultant is currently updating the routes map and constructing renderings that will be helpful during public meetings as the project moves forward.
3. A short section of Sheep Rock Road has been repaired and repaved. Stokes County partnered with the Town to pay for the repairs.
COUNCIL MEETING -- 1/25/17
1. The budget calendar for fiscal year 2017-18 was discussed. Key dates were identified, including a public hearing to be scheduled for May 24th.
2. The Pedestrian Plan is moving along. The planner will spend time evaluating options for gateways during the week of Feb. 6. A public meeting will be held in April to receive comments and suggestions. Residents are encouraged to attend Town Council meetings to stay apprised of planning progress.
The Town Council frequently discusses a concern for pedestrian safety as residents and visitors go about their business on Main Street. While the design of the street is unlikely to change, we can, as motorists, change our behavior. Not only is it dangerous for pedestrians, it has also been common for pets and wildlife to be injured or killed, as well. Everyone is being asked to obey speed limits and to be alert for people and animals crossing the street. Please help us out.
Recently, speed limits on Main Street through Danbury changed. The 25mph zone now begins at the Post Office and extends to the church. The remainder of Main Street northbound to the town limit is now 35mph. This change applies in both directions. Signage has been updated.
Planning and Zoning Board Meetings--The Planning and Zoning Board meets on an as-needed basis. Meeting dates are advertised in advance.
Recycling in Danbury-- Danbury residents who are currently receiving garbage service are encouraged to take advantage of curbside recycling. This service occurs on an every-other-week basis. The pickup schedule can be found under the "Departments" tab.
Danbury, the county seat of Stokes County, North Carolina, is located approximately 20 miles north of Winston-Salem, NC, on highway NC 8/89. Nestled among the natural beauty of the Dan River and Hanging Rock State Park, Danbury is a great place to visit, live and work. We hope to see you soon!