Welcome to Danbury, North Carolina!
Town Council Meetings--Town Council meetings are scheduled for the fourth Wednesday of every month. A tentative agenda will normally be posted by the Monday prior to the meeting.
A special meeting of the Town Council will be held on Wednesday, April 26, 2017, from 5:00pm-7:00pm, at the Danbury Library. This drop-in workshop is intended to provide residents an opportunity to comment and offer additional ideas on the proposed Danbury Pedestrian Plan "Connect Danbury".
The next regular meeting of the Town Council has been rescheduled for Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 7:00 PM, at the Danbury Library. The primary focus will be on a public hearing for the Stokes County Comprehensive Transportation Plan and more discussion regarding the town Pedestrian Plan.
COUNCIL MEETING -- 1/25/17
1. The budget calendar for fiscal year 2017-18 was discussed. Key dates were identified, including a public hearing to be scheduled for May 24th.
2. The Pedestrian Plan is moving along. The planner will spend time evaluating options for gateways during the week of Feb. 6. A public meeting will be held in April to receive comments and suggestions. Residents are encouraged to attend Town Council meetings to stay apprised of planning progress.
COUNCIL MEETING -- 2/22/17
1. The Pedestrian Plan continues to progress. Property owners are being contacted as the Town Council seeks input and involvement as the Plan moves along. Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 5:00pm-7:00pm, has been set as an opportunity for everyone to hear about the plan and to provide comment. The meeting will be a drop-in format and held at the Danbury Library. A letter will be sent prior to the meeting.
COUNCIL MEETING -- 3/22/17
1. Feasability of constructing an expandable public Wi-Fi system in the central part of town was discussed. Further study will happen over the next months.
2. A Request For Proposals was issued for garbage and recycling services. Proposals will be opened on April 12th and a selection will be made at the May 3rd meeting.
3. A reminder that the Pedestrian Plan public workshop will be held on Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 5:00pm-7:00pm, at the library.
The Town Council frequently discusses a concern for pedestrian safety as residents and visitors go about their business on Main Street. While the design of the street is unlikely to change, we can, as motorists, change our behavior. Not only is it dangerous for pedestrians, it has also been common for pets and wildlife to be injured or killed, as well. Everyone is being asked to obey speed limits and to be alert for people and animals crossing the street. Please help us out.
Recently, speed limits on Main Street through Danbury changed. The 25mph zone now begins at the Post Office and extends to the church. The remainder of Main Street northbound to the town limit is now 35mph. This change applies in both directions. Signage has been updated.
Planning and Zoning Board Meetings--The Planning and Zoning Board meets on an as-needed basis. Meeting dates are advertised in advance.
Recycling in Danbury-- Danbury residents who are currently receiving garbage service are encouraged to take advantage of curbside recycling. This service occurs on an every-other-week basis. The pickup schedule can be found under the "Departments" tab.
Danbury, the county seat of Stokes County, North Carolina, is located approximately 20 miles north of Winston-Salem, NC, on highway NC 8/89. Nestled among the natural beauty of the Dan River and Hanging Rock State Park, Danbury is a great place to visit, live and work. We hope to see you soon!